Saturday, 15 November 2014

Pitch Perfect

When I first heard about Pitch Perfect I thought to myself, "oh great, another terrible "musical" movie to target to the fans of Glee." I thought it was going to be a terrible movie, I had no interest in it, and I told myself I'd never watch it. Then one day, out of boredom, I was reading reviews on iMDB, and one of the reviews for Pitch Perfect caught my attention. The headline of the review was something along the lines of "Pitch Perfect, what Glee wishes it could be if Glee was good." I must admit, that made me laugh and sparked my interest; I now had to see this movie.

From the opening scene of the film, I was instantly hooked, and regretting that I hadn't given the movie a chance earlier. The movie opens with an a cappella competition, which includes play by play commentary (provided by Elizabeth Banks and John Michael Higgins). Now, a cappella competitions aren't something I'd expect to have announcers, but EB and JMH are hysterical in the roles. The main focal point of the opening scene is to establish the rivalry between the Barden TrebleMakers (an all male group), and the Barden Bellas (an all female group). The scene ends with Aubrey (Anna Camp) throwing up on stage ruining the Bellas performance.

The movie is centred around an anti-social university student, Beca (played by Anna Kendrick). Beca has dreams of becoming a DJ, but her father - who's a professor at the university - wants Beca to put herself out there more, and wants her to try meeting new people. He makes a deal with her, telling her if she legitimately tries some different activities and tries meeting new people, he will then pay for her way to try and become a DJ if she doesn't like the new experiences. Beca - who's not on the greatest of terms with her dad since he split from her mom - reluctantly agrees. 

Beca sets out on the University activities fair to try to find something to join. Along the way she runs into Fat Amy (Rebel Wilson), and the two of them come across the Bellas recruiting table (at different times, not together). Fat Amy clearly has an interest in joining the group, but Beca does not. Later on Chloe (Brittany Snow) - who, along with Aubrey was trying to recruit for the Bellas - comes across Beca in the showers and hears her singing; Chloe convinces Beca to tryout for the Bellas. 

As you probably already suspected, Beca ends up becoming one of the new Bellas members. In the meantime, Beca also works at the University radio station, alongside Jesse, one of the new recruits for the TrebleMakers. This of course sets up the inevitable love story of the movie. With the Bellas and TrebleMakers being enemies, Aubrey has forbidden any of the Bellas to get involved with any of the TrebleMakers; further setting the stage for the Beca and Jesse love affair that's not supposed to happen. 

I don't want to give too much of the movie away if you haven't already seen it. What I will say is this movie is full of laughs and awesome moments, fueled by a great cast. Are there some sappy moments? Ya, there are certainly sappy moments that could have been cut, but overall it was a really enjoyable movie. I give Pitch Perfect 4.5/5 and highly recommend watching it.




Other Titles You Might Enjoy:

No comments:

Post a Comment